Monday 12 April 2010

Lesson 11, finally the circuit bashing begins

Lesson: 11


10/IV/2010

  • Lesson time: 0.7h

  • Total time: 9.2h

  • Location: EGAD

  • Aircraft: G-UFCE (C172)

Another lesson that starts at 9:00. It is always a bad time, because of the morning weather changes. I have to remember about not booking anything that early (or late, for that matter too).

In the morning, I had a look at club's apron camera. Virtually no visibility. Foggy as hell. At home, clear skies. Typical. That airport is in such a funny spot. When it rains, is foggy, etc, it is always around that area, and that's it.. Well, quite often is. I called the club, but no one answered. Being myself, I thought - what the hell, I'll drive there anyway.

Showed up couple minutes past 9, Anthony was in instructor's room. He said that it is very unlikely that we will go up, but we might as well go through briefing, and if it clears up in next 20 minutes, we would fly. Circuit briefing is long, because there's lot to process, so it would be useful to go through it anyhow.

Sat in the little briefing room, next to lounge. Anthony handed me a piece of paper, and a pen, and said there's going to be few things to note. Now, I don't usually take notes. It is puts a little more demand on your brains to remember things. However, just as a respect to my instructor time, and just in case he is really serious that my brain won't take it - I decided to make take notes. I have to say, Anthony is one of those guys that can really explain things the way you understand them. And he drops in one or more interesting side things, that are interesting to me, and really make me you feel that he is truly passionate about flying.

Any how, he went on to describe circuit, bit by bit, stage by stage. Which I dully noted down. The pattern flying is described millions of times , so I won't go around it. But few things that he mentioned on top, are probably worth noting here, for you, and for me to remember.



As you climb out after take off, around 300ft, speed of climb should be increased to 75 knots (that's in 172), and ELF 'check' should be performed. It stands for Engine (T's && P's), L - landing gear (up), Flaps (up, if short field take off, or plane requires it). He noted that I should learn and always repeat all checks, even if the plan I am flying doesn't have landing gear, etc. It is just good airmanship, and practice.

So, around 500ft, we should turn to cross-wind, and continue the climb. The turn with climb should be no more than 15 deg of bank. As soon as we reach 1000ft, good lookout (again, forgot to mention it, always remember about good lookout!), and turn downwind.

My question here, was always - how do I know when to stop turning. After all, DI might not be helpful, since you can fly cross wind, plus in VFR you should have your head on the lookout for most of the time. So the answer is very simple. Before you make the turn, whilst looking out for traffic, note the patter 90 deg to left (or right in right hand pattern). And than turn on that spot. Seems simple, doesn't it. I suppose time to use DI and depend on it will come later, but for now I'll stick to that advice.

Anyhow. As soon as we level out downwind, when abeam the runway end, call 'xyz downwind'. If you're late, than 'late downwind'.

Next, following checks have to be done. BUMPFICH. B - breaks, some planes have funny breaks, and it is time now to check if they are set, and release them. U - undercarriage. Again, it is good airmanship to always call that out. In case of 172 - just say 'secure and welded'. M - for mixture. Set to rich.  P - prop pitch, again in 172 - not applicable, but just say 'prop fixed, still there'. F - check fuel quantity, set tanks to both, fuel pump, etc. I - instruments, T's P's, etc. C - carb heat off. H - harness and hatches, etc.

Now one thing that Anthony added here, is to actually set carb heat on before calling BUMPFICH. The idea is, that by the time you get to letter C, you are well cleared of any possible ice.

When you got rwy threshold at your 8'clock (in left hand pattern), it is time to turn base. Reduce power to 1500 rpm, under less than 110 kts, first stage of flaps. Under 85 knots (white arc on ASI), second stage of flaps. Maintain 70 knots, add power if necessary, and trim. This all will also initiate a descend.

When rwy is around 10 oclock to your left (in left hand pattern again), initiate turn to finals. Do the radio call again (xyz on finals), 3rd stage of flaps. Around 200 ft agl,  do the CRAP checklist - C, carb heat off, R - runway clear, A - approach, if on approach profile - all god, if not - this is the time go - around, no excuses. P - permission from ATC, if aplicable. ATC will give you permission to set on finals, but clearance to land must be obtained separately. Again, if not received, go - around.

Simple isn't it ? Now it all takes only few minutes. So you can imagine the workload. I couldn't believe it until I actually flew it.

The first one, Anthony tried to give me fair chance to do it myself, but I even drifted on take off. 172 requires so much rudder on climb, that you wouldn't believe. He pretty much let me do finals, and (attempt) to land. Obviously in the exercise, you just touch and go. Meaning, that as soon as you land, you don't stop, but count to 1-2-3 as you push in throttle (remember about that rudder, seriously!) - and off you go. Rotate at 55, and climb 65 till 300 ft, etc.

Second one , I did much much better, but in all honesty I started to turn too late. On the approach, and than on flare, the aircraft was all over the place, even tho there was no wind whatsoever. Now that's an achievement ;) I even asked Anthony about the wind "or is it myself". He just replied, laughing, "it is just yourself". Now that's the level of honesty I like. No bull's crap.

Third one was much much better, even Anthony said so. But again, all my turns were rubbish. Still gotta learn that. Anthony performed all the checks, and radio work. I was just suppose to fly. And even that I couldn't do well.

He admired my trimming, to which I foolishly replied 'well, it is easy'. He probably now thinks that I am just show off. But in all honesty, I do find trimming easy.

Anyway, time for the last turn, as it turned out. On base Anthony told me to land to full stop. Meaning that's all we are going to do Today. A shame, cos I stared to feel like I am finally being able to do it better and better.

On the ground, there was just chaos. Two air cadet's moto-gliders, backtracking, than taking off. It is all nice, but I pay for the engine running, so not really a good idea to just sit there and wait for someone. Moments later, CFI landed behind us. He obviously wasn't happy either, and asked RAF folks to move, so we can taxi back to apron. So nice. We had a bit of chaos when taxing to the rwy hold before taking off, but I didn't wanted to write too much about it. lets just say, that all of the sudden everyone wanted to fly. Fair enough, the weather was just perfect for flying. Probably by the afternoon, the circuit would be full of aircraft.

But it was time for me to drive home. I had to prepare my car for its first MOT on that day. And I also had a chance to catchup with so many texts I received. I even wondered, why all of the sudden people write to me that much. As it turned out, it was about the news of aircraft crash in Russia....

  • Route: RWY 22, round and round the airport baby

  • Milestones: circuits...

  • Exercises covered: 12/13

  • Weather: initial fog, than clear and nice, virtually no wind. Perfect for flying.

No comments:

Post a Comment