Sunday 20 June 2010

Lesson 16, Gregg demonstrates how to land .. not




Lesson: 16


20/VI/2010

  • Lesson time: 0.8h

  • Total time: 12.8h

  • Location: EGAD

  • Aircraft: G-BNKR (C152)

  • Instructor: Anthony S


Today was perfect day for flight. For some reason, there was not that many aircraft in the circuit when I drove close to the airport. Got bit worried by that, but they were flying alright.

Went out to checkout G-BNKR, it wasn't much flown Today for some reason, and my lesson was to be either last or one before last of the day.Odd. Plenty of fuel, everything in order otherwise.

Here's how it looked as I walked towards:



Now, here's a thingie that I noticed inside, the dark bit facing front. I wonder if this is so that you can put a camera there. If you know, let me know:



I did much better job taxing us to the 04 hold. Turned around nicely (Anthony asked me if I could do it) - well, in my own world that is.

And off we went. 6 circuits in whole. And everything was fine, more or less, except for the approach and landing...

I don't know what it is, but I approach more or less good. And than before the flare, madness starts. I tend to do opposite things to what needs done.

For instance, you are suppose to gently pull power and pull yoke, and let aircraft slowly and gently sink to the ground. Instead, when I see it dropping to fast, I add power, or push the stick. So out of 6 landings, probably one or two were not rubbish. Seriously. I do have to work on approach and landing some more, if I ever want to show anyone that it won't be a suicide mission to send me for a solo.

Anthony probably thinks, I am ignoring all he says. But truth of the matter is, I am trying to get a feel for all that stuff , so that I could do it myself, and react to things as they happen. Probably not the cheapest way to learn to fly (and land), but me thinks, most beneficial in terms of capabilities and knowledge. Let's just hope G-BNKR will survive that ;)

I won't bore you with details here, but out of 6 landings, we had to go around 2 times.

Side note, Kate bought me Red Ferrari ... perfumes yesterday. So Today I decided to put some on, prrrrobably too much. Anthony had to open window on one of the approaches to get some air (either that, or it was because I was running in sweat - it was damn hot). They are pretty intensive, so note to self, use less of it :)

Picture of zzz bonker's dashboard:



And circuits. One good thing, if I can think of one - is that I am taking off in much straighter line now. :)



That's it folks. Shortest post ever, I guess :)


  • Route: RWY 04

  • Milestones: Flap-less landing (twice). (70knts instead of 65)

  • Exercises covered: 12&13

  • Weather: scattered clouds, bit of wind, but otherwise perfect day for flying.



3 comments:

  1. Don't be so hard in yourself! The last 50 feet can be a pain, today one of my flares was actually two flares combined into one landing because I yanked the stick back too far and a levelled out 10ft above the runway! Just remember that all you have to do is put it on the ground without breaking something, I find that if I try to think about every action during my approaches they end up awful, whereas if I force myself to be relaxed I generally fair better.

    Have you tried flight simulators? Whilst they certainly have their pitfalls, I found that bashing circuits in one helped to give me an idea of the actions and perspective of landing a light aircraft. Many people swear against them, and whilst they are not for everyone I think they were a huge contributor to my understanding of circuit flying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grzegorz Jaskiewicz20 June 2010 at 14:02

    thanks :)

    about simulators. I find it hard to justify 250 quid for yoke, rudder and all leavers - if I can have over 2h of flying real aircraft for that, which is most certainly going to work better. I wish these things would cost 50 quid, than I would consider it.

    I am over thinking stuff in last stages. everything happens very quick, and I don't want to end up in the news as two fatalities in light aircraft. I know that the guy next to me is there to cover me. But I like to think about it like flying him as some passenger, that likes to take my yoke and play with it, because I was playing for too long ;) That way I don't feel like anything goes.
    It is hard, but many have told me that this is just a natural step in learning these things. I certainly hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Personally I wouldn't recommend using a Sim for landing practice. The only thing I can really see them being useful for are practising instrument procedures.

    Their flight dynamics are so different to a real aircraft, I'm not sure you'd really learn much.

    Landing is one of those things that I found I was poor at, and then all of a sudden on one session it just clicked into place and I could land. It'll happen, just be patient.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete