Friday 28 December 2012

Lesson 39 - Yes, oh the circuits




Lesson 39

28/XII/2012

  • Lessons time: dual - 0.8h, solo - none

  • Total time: 37.0h (1.1h solo)

  • Route: EGAD , RWY 15

  • Aircraft: G-UFCL (Tecnam 2002JF)

Another 9:00 lesson. I missed one Yesterday. Because I'm a monkey, and forgot to put that one in calendar (but I got all others in !).

But Today, Today was good. I got up (barely), city was clear. I had problems going to sleep last night (too much work, neurones firing up) .
Anyway, got the the club. Early this time (8:50, success). Instructor was sitting at the reception looking at the weather and such. It didn't sound good. But after a bit of thinking, he decided to go up and try it. If it was to get worse, it will be later in the day.
So guys got the aircraft out. I could see the procedure of 'burping' the oil for the first time on that aircraft (it's done by guys preparing the aircraft, not studs doing the preflight). Takes few more propeller turns then it says on the checklist.

Done the preflight, Instructor came in. I felt a bit uncertain about my actions, following the pressure during fly-out.

Because the wind was coming from over the loch, we used runway 15. Short runway, with finals coming over the city (and psni station!) . The mast over the PSNI station sort of gives you an idea of height. If' you're on the right path, mast will be well over - but it's still a good idea to keep it to your left - to see it.
Anyway. Circuits were ok. I had a bit of wind towards end - so crosswind got a bit extended.
Big thing was focus on loosing speed first, then altitude (put the nose up, pull the power a bit, and maintain 1k ft whilst speed bleeds off). I probably said it already before, but this thing is like a sports car. Takes practice to control it.
First landing was a full stop. I landed bit long. As I was taxing back to the hold, Instructor took the time to explain to me yet again that I need to control speed with attitude, and height with power on downwind/base/finals. It'll click one day. I'm sure :-)
Another climb out, again forgot to loose lights at 300ft. Again got pushed a bit further (wind was picking up, and slowing changing direction) on crosswind. I think I said to Instructor that I'll pull the power to reduce speed. Ooops. He patiently told me once again that its attitude power not the other way. Man has patience. Buckets of it.
Another nice touch/go landing, another time I forgot lights. Monkey.
Cloudbase was bit lower, and I extended downwind a bit more (of course not on purpose). It started to become very shaky.

Touch and go, Instructor helped with raising flaps before I put the power up. This is where you have to look at the runway, to keep aircraft on the centreline (or there abouts), raise flaps - which requires a peek at the gauge that's on the other side of the aircraft. Flaps up with right hand, that also handles the power. Again, what a daft idea. By now I'm used to the trim. It isn't so bad actually. But the flaps...  Please. Like someone said last time: "*shrug* it's italian".

Of we went. I managed the power much better this time.
On finals Instructor said to me - make that a go around. I think he was satisfied with my performance, and wanted to see how I'll do g/o. And if you read this blog for a while, you'd know I have plenty of practice in solo g/os.

Off we went, forgot lights at 300ft again. It was really shaky on downwind and base this time. On base the aircraft was actually up and down like a ball in lottery shuffling machine. Somehow I managed to get the speed right. Instructor even covered speedo to show me that I can do it without looking. And I did it. First time I managed the right attitude for the Tecnam, not Cessna.
Turned finals, the gust was so bad, that at some stage starboard wing dropped and for few seconds we were in 30deg bank to the right. Instructor had to unfold his hands in hurry to cover it - but I think I managed to get us straight again (so to speak). Perfect approach (or so I was told). Apparently I demonstrated short field landing technique there. I got the aircraft straight from crab so quickly on flare there and touched down nicely.

And that was it. Circuits. How much I love you. Bit shaken by the winds, but otherwise nice fun. £120 shorter, but as always - most fun for that money you can have - in my opinion.

Fun!

I started doing air law tests, etc because I need it to go solo. And I would love to do my solo consolidation on the Tecnam sooner then later. That would be a true progress.

GPS track:


  • Milestones: Gusty, bit of a cross wind landing in Tecnams

  • Exercises covered: 12/13

  • Weather: Very warm (for the time of year, around 10 deg), windy, 10-12 knt

No comments:

Post a Comment