Saturday 23 January 2010

Lesson 5, ups and downs

Lesson: 5


22/I/2010

  • Lesson time: 1.0h

  • Total time: 4.1h

  • Location: EGAD

  • Aircraft: G-BNKR (C152)


Did I ever mentioned how lucky I feel at times. Booked the lesson with Roger for 1330, took 2nd half of the day off. Phoned the club, Roger just said: "we are not flying now, but the fog seems to be clearing off, so come over". Well, 1200 sharp with huge grin on my face, I ran down to my car (yeah, new purchase - another reason to feel lucky). Drove home for quick lunch, couldn't even munch half of it. Picked my usual stuff + new headset, and off I went.

I arrived at the club around 1300, and was told that Roger is in the air with other student. Sat down in the club, started to read on ex 7 and 8 but pretty soon someone opened the back door, and I couldn't just sit there, went over to enjoy the sun and watch with others as someone was training in helicopter. In about 20 minutes Roger appeared, as it turned out he was busy lunching in the new cafe next door.

He was bit worried, because no C172 was available. Yes, I booked it but someone else was flying in it. Probably some student from previous booking slot was trying to catch a bit of sky after a fair bit of wait. I mentioned to Roger that Zzzeee Bonker (G-BNKR, club's only C152) is free, and I have nothing against flying in it.

As before, Roger would thoroughly describe the purpose of Today's lesson. Basically he described in very good detail what happens with the aircraft's attitude when you enter, execute and leave climb or descent, what is the Vx, etc. As always, with a help of a little aircraft model - which I have to say, sometimes makes me wanna laugh like a teenage blondie. I listened to him in silence, just acknowledging what he was saying, as that sort of level of detail would be new to me.

I have to say, by now I can actually see exactly what I like and don't like in each instructor. Maybe saying "don't like" is going too far. Each and every one of them will have his own way of teaching. It really feels great, that I can grab the bookings book - lookup instructor's name, and decide with whom I want to have next lesson, knowing already who is who, and most of all - what to expect.

Roger gave me the key, and asked if I ever did the pre flight inspection. Asked me also if I have my checklist for 152. I always carry both with me, but since I expected to fly in 172, it was sitting in my car. So off I went, to grab the C152 checklist, leave my book in the car, etc.

This would be my second preflight done by myself. This time I knew exactly what to do (or so I think). Opened the door (yeah, remembered from the last time), checked electrics, put the flaps down - in stages, whilst observing the movement on both sides. Checked fuel, oil, etc. I was done by probably 3-4 minutes. So I did another walk about to re-check the things, whilst waiting for Roger to come over. Funny, he came over, asking me about 'fuel quality' (I swear - that is what I heard, accents here are a funny thing, and I did not had a chance to fly with just the two instructors that are English in the club, speaking with proper accent ;p). I honestly thought, that since the plane wasn't in the air on the day, he wanted me to check if there's any water in fuel etc. But as my luck would have it, he actually meant quantity. And yes, I did the dip-stick check. This is the bit that for some reason I enjoy. Climbing on the wings, and peeking in the tank. Dunno why. Probably because I get a chance to jump off it, which just makes me feel good :D

As previously, I had a chance to make few initial calls, taxi a bit, and had to follow my checklist with everything. I was no longer catch by surprise with the checklist, so everything went smoother and more relaxed.

There was still bit of water here and there on taxi ways, so Roger took over most of the taxying. Whilst on backtracking 04/22, I had this thought that I no longer feel out of place in the aircraft. Even the C152, if you recall my first lesson and experiences there - I already feel like at home, even in the bloody tight tin can the C152 is.

Went through my engine check list, taxied to the 04 and had a chance again to take off. We had a bit of crosswind on our initial climb out, and Roger quickly demonstrated how to not get blown off by it. You just turn slightly into the wind with aerilons. Banal. Yet, I felt like someone gave me just another tip on how to turn stone into gold. Seriously.

I did most of the exercise with Paul last time, but not with that much of the briefing. So Today's lesson was mostly on how to climb and descend most efficiently. I think I did pretty well on that, as Roger was really pleased with my flying. I was a bit on the slow side, but I try to mentally remember what to do next.

The climb and descend requires you to change the airspeed to whatever would be the best (most effective) speed for the manoeuvre. It also requires change to the aircraft's attitude, as depending on the speed you would need to keep your nose higher or lower. So speed affects the attitude, and the attitude affects speed. The most common problem students have (according to Roger), is that they will try to correct the speed or attitude too quickly, thus entering what's known as 'loopback effect'. Basically you start to correct speed with attitude or attitude with speed too quickly. According to Roger, I only once showed - almost - an attempt to do this (yeah, I know - genius ;) ). So I probably got some really good note for this on my student record :)  Most things in the aircraft take a bit of time to settle. So I naturally felt that I'll have to wait a bit after applying or pulling the power, or changing the attitude.

On our way back, I got blinded by the sun couple of times, and got to remember to get some non-polarised sunglasses. Polarised ones don't work well with aircraft's instruments. As we approached the airfield, Roger described to me the overhead join procedure, and gave me chance to fly for a bit of the circuit. At some stage he had to take over, as we flew into some low cloud. But once out of it, I had a chance to line up with runway, and commence the last descend of my lesson. Roger asked me briefly if I want to land, and since there was no response from me for too long (and things are happening fast on approach), he took over. I had a chance to operate yoke at the end of the approach/landing. Than quick taxi, again I did some of it. I am starting to get some idea on how to do it. And it is funny that you have the urge to use yoke as steering wheel. Doesn't work like that, and can actually cause some problems, if there's a wind gust.

So taxied back, did all shutdown procedures. At this stage, Roger told me that despite the fact that I had 0.8h to pay for, we were flying for an hour. It is basically the way tachos and all that works in C152. It doesn't count time per se, so when you are sitting there on apron with the engine idle 'the time will slow down'. This is actually quite fair, if you count the fuel price. So I've changed previous entry in my logbook to be 1.0, and Today's is 1.0 too. Totalling just little over 4h after 5 lessons :) Not too bad :)

During the debrief Roger mentioned that I should start reading on the same exercise but with flaps, so this is going to be probably subject of the next lesson (booked for next Friday, lets hope the weather will keep up). After that, turns in climb and descent, and than circuit bashing. Can't wait :P

Yet again, despite my attempt to keep entries short and brief, this is probably the longest entry on the blog. Heh. What can I say, if you're still with me, I do really appreciate it.

  • Route: Departed rwy 04, over Strangford Lough and back up . Landed rwy 04.

  • Milestones: finally able to set and release parking break on C152 (if you ever tried, you will know why I mention it here),

  • Exercises covered: climb and descend (6b), best rate of climb and glide.

  • Weather: Hazy sunshine; low cloud in places. Slight fog in morning, loads of water about, some taxi ways were unusable

This time the apron webcam catched Roger with me running away from the aircraft:

No comments:

Post a Comment