Thursday 11 March 2010

Lesson 6, recap

Lesson: 6


("Greggish" language warning, unedited, fresh post).



05/III/2010

  • Lesson time: 1.0h

  • Total time: 5.1h

  • Location: EGAD

  • Aircraft: G-BNKR (C152)


I wasn't going to give up on flying, no way, I can sell my flat, car, dump girlfriend, change jobs, but flying remains my first priority as far as doing something with  my life is concerned. If I had more cash, I would probably fully focus on it, rather than spening countless hours on stashing gold for someone else, only receiving small chips of it for the effort. Which reminds me about one of the greatest songs of all times, very true lyrics indeed (for rock&roll). "Heaven and hell", by Black Sabbath:

"And they'll tell you black is really white
The moon is just the sun at night
And when you walk in golden halls
You get to keep the gold that falls
Its heaven and hell, oh no!"


Anyways, I digressed.

Did my walk around, checked fuel, and the oil. The oil level was slightly below 6, which was of a bit concern to me.

My instructor joined me pretty soon, I reported that the externals are done, and that the oil level is starting to fall below. He acknowledged, and double checked. The check list says that oil level 4+ is fine for short distances, and should be above 6 for longer journeys. So we should be fine.

He started to repack his bag, and I noticed which airline he works for as a pilot, cos some stuff had their logo on. It was pretty nice, he started to ask me about my reasons to fly, etc. I pretty soon found out, that he is very friendly. Indeed, it seemed like the instructor is genuine interested in knowing the student, not just cutting a chitchat.

Before we got in, he asked me about the key, to which I replied that it is in the aircraft. "Put it on the dashboard, so whoever walks near by can see it .That way, if I approach the aircraft, I will be sure that propeller won't start and I can walk about safe". Very good advice, I thought. Previously I would leave the key in the starter, so I don't loose it during externals. But that advice actually makes more sense!.

I jumped in, and immediately I noticed that things aren't happening unless I do it. I gently touched on it, and the reply was "don't worry, if you do something wrong, I'll tell you. You won't learn anything unless you do it". We even didn't started the engine, and I already knew that it is going to be a great lesson.

As I went through the check list, one of the items on the list says to turn on radios and avionics. All instructors I flew with so far, would only care about radios, and squawk. But this one, actually turned on all the navigation bits too. "Just in case", he said. I like that.. You can tell he is very professional as a pilot. Everything has its place, and reason. Just what I love about aviation, and there's a guy here that actually puts that into practice. Not that I don't enjoy flying with others, but there is something about that sort of approach that I like. Bah, I even approach things in life that way myself.

I had notes scribbled by Roger, and that helped me to get through the radio calls. It was nearly a disaster, I couldn't understand what the guy said, too fast. The one month break wasn't acting in my favour either.

For the first time, I had a chance to actually taxi all the way to 22-hold, than backtrack to 16, do the power checks, etc. That's the way these things should be done!. After all, I am the one who is suppose to learn here, not the one who is suppose to watch (and pay for it). I liked that.

It has been a while since I took off in C152, and it seemed like the time slowed down as we accelerated, and I pushed the throttle very slowly in. We got up, as usual went for down the peninsula. The day was just beautiful. Pretty much clear skies, warm, nearly no wind. Joy to be in the air.

I pretty much quickly got back into feeling things, trimming went smooth. I couldn't remember what was the procedure for climb and descent, but it slowly got back to me. The week at work has been depressing, I slept only 4h previous day, so I had no time to check the books, and get back on theory. Kind of hoping that it will all come back to me, and it did. I was also introduced to two new procedures. As usually, there's a 'name' to remember. The two new friends are: DABLE, and FREDA. The latter I knew from countless blogs I read on the subject. Again, the man was very professional and explained everything to me in very good detail. DABLE stands for : Direction, Attitude, Balance ball, Lookout, Engine checks. As you might imagine it applies to turns. FREDA is a cruise check, that you are suppose to carry out every 10 or so minutes. It stands for: Fuel, Radio, Engine checks, Direction indicator, Altimeters.

I basically did ex 7 and 8 time and time again, to remind myself how all that was done. I have to say, it all comes back very quickly.

We also did the ex 9 (all sorts of turns, with climb, descend, etc).

This time, I was reminded about my attempt to "chase the speedo". I was previously proud that I had no such tendencies,but I suppose the fact that it has been a while made me feel slightly unsure about speeds and aircraft's attitude. But I got rid of that pretty quickly. After all, it would be a shame to do it, since I know consequences of that.

The hour went past so quickly, we were on our way to the airport again. Since we were suppose to land on 34. I was told that it isn't so easy runway, due to the nearby hill air flow causes aircraft to sink as you approach the runway. So I was told to just follow on the controls. We landed smoothly, and it felt indeed like the airflow wasn't as predictable as it was on likes of 22, or 04. Also 34 is much shorter, so no room for mistake.

Of course it was my job to taxi us back to apron. I still have a tendency to sit on breaks, which I was reminded of. I still have to learn to taxi, this isn't easy.

It was a shame, when we got back, and Simon asked me if I have any questions. And I had none. He explained all so well, and I knew what I did wrong.

He only wrote down FREDA, and DABLE on back of my logsheet, so that I will remember it (and I will!), and that was it.

All in all, great time, great weather, great lesson. I flew again!  I am past the naive excitement, but it felt awesome. As usual, huge grin on my face.

Next to the club, there's a car wash. And I noticed in the middle of it, heli from the school next door. In the middle of that car wash, being washed by folks who work there. Since the day was very nice, and my car has been through hell of winter weather, I decided to clean it there as well. Just the basic service this time, but will come back for full treatment one day :) That heli was really looking great in the middle of the court. I wonder how many people got attracted by it too, and decided to wash their cars there.




  • Route: Departed rwy 16, over Strangford Lough and back up . Landed rwy 34.

  • Milestones: fully done ex 9, recap of things I learned so far.

  • Exercises covered: 7, 8, 9

  • Weather: sunshine!, CAVOK !

No comments:

Post a Comment