Sunday 3 October 2010

Lesson 19 - yes, still in the circuit.







Lesson: 19


03/X/2010

  • Lesson time: 0.6h

  • Total time: 14.6h

  • Location: EGAD

  • Aircraft: G-BNKR (C152)

  • Instructor: Daniel M


At the end of August, most instructors I flew with left the club. After quite painful September (finically), I decided to book 4 lessons in the October. There was a bit of motivation to push things forward with flying, if I want ever to get it done. I am approaching the stage, where if I won't solo soon I will loose motivation. Still quite ahead for that to happen, with my angel's patience. But on the second side of the curve (down-hill that is).

The weather wasn't looking good Yesterday, but somehow it cleared up Today. It was actually very lovely. I went cycling a bit, washed my car, and than drove to the club.

Every time I enter the club after a bit of break, I get very excited. My heart beats up very loud and high, and I nearly get into the panic state 'what would I do'.

Waited a bit for the instructor, talked to folks in the instructor room a bit. One of the students was on her solo, and she got microlight in front of her on finals, quite close. So her instructor had to tell her to go around. Dunno if it was her's first solo or not, but she was doing very good on landings. I went outside to look how everybody else is doing.

I never flew with Daniel before, he just joined the club recently, so I had no idea how he looks, or what sort of instructor he is. Won't name them here, but some instructors wouldn't let me do much if I did something wrong, the would take immediately. And in a situation where there was no danger, or anything (say taxing, etc). So I had my reservation as to who this guy will be , etc.

Anyway, the time came, and he came back from his previous lesson. After he did paperwork for the previous student, he asked me what was I doing currently, and if I am flying solo now (lol). Btw, I phoned the local CAA doc, to get an appointment. Left a message on his phone, probably will get a response on Monday. Brushing up my airlaw knowledge. Still rubbish at it. But I do realise, that I need these two things done asap, to get ahead in flying.

Anyway, told him that I am in circuits stage, and went off to checkout the aircraft.

He arrived pretty soon, and I had just to tell him, that I would like - if possible, to remain at controls whenever possible. And was happy to hear back, that this is precisely what he always does.  Such a relief.

Went flying through the checks, a bit of hesitation on the initial radio call, but all others went very smooth indeed. But I got response back from David H, with QNH 991, and active RWY 22. Read it back, nearly correct, but forgot to check the dial on the instrument. Monkey..

Lined up , did my checks, did 360 to check the circuit, and left aircraft pointing towards rwy22 entrance. Daniel was very nice to remind me, that I cannot see anyone on finals that way properly, and I should turn a bit to the right. Breaks were funny, so I did almost 360 again, this time, I could see some microlight on finals. The microlights have rubbish radios. The guys were calling from 500 ft, and I could barely hear it in the aircraft.

Taxied onto the rwy, lined up. Asked Daniel, if he is ready. He confirmed. And off I went. That beautiful feeling of taking off into the sky. And , ghaaa, sun shining into my eyes. Spoiled the fun. I started to sweat like hell. Hate it (sweating that is). Continued on, trying to remember how it is to keep the aircraft in balance. It was grand. Around 500 ft, did my lookout, and turned. Again, around 950 ft, another lookout, turn.

I did level off on the first circuit, waited a bit for the speed to build up. And now, a bit of hesitation.  Was it 2300 rpm, 2200 ? Shit. I went with 2300 first, but the aircraft was still speeding up. So lowered it a bit. I attempted (C)BUMPFICH, but it was rubbish. Even tho, I was talking to myself these checks earlier on Today whilst cycling. I also forgot radio call. Monkey.

Turned base, pulled power, waited for the speed, flaps, 10, 20. Watched for 65 knots, turned finals.. And Daniel spoke. For the first time. "you forgot your radio call". Lol. The man is an angel. He did patiently let me do all these things, and was very very patient and understanding. As usual, I made a mess out of the flare. I asked Daniel to follow me through on the next one. But he said 'well done landing'. I suppose, we walked from it (or rather pressed on for another take off - touch and go), so it wasn't so bad.

Next circuit was much better. Sun in the eyes, sweat on the take off. Than turn away from the sun for crosswind. On downwind, this time I made the call, went through the bumfich very smoothly.

On the flare I was a bit too low, this time Daniel walked me through it, even backed up the power leaver too, to show me how smoothly, yet quickly I have to release it. I did baloon on this one, but we pressed on. 22 is very long, so you can give it a try.

Pressed in the power, and off we went. i got reminded that i should really push the leaver much quicker. This is one of my fears, that I push it very hard, and the engine will quit or something. So i always do it gently, counting 1,2,3 very slowly. But looks like I have to stop that habit of mine.

Last circuit was bit tighter, cos we wanted to get away from some student soloing in 172 (I so envy these guys now) trying to cut our tail off (just kidding obviously, but in 172, the guy had no issues in catching up, and he probably doesn't realise that he is suppose to slow down when there's a slower aircraft in the circuit).

This time I was too low on the approach, and only about 45 knots. Daniel pushed in the power, so it was a balloon , but in the air, if that makes sense. And than I tried to land us, which went rather well.

Slowed us down, and quick turn to the left, as the tail cutter was right behind for touch and go.

And than we spent another 5 minutes probably, waiting for everyone to land. All of the sudden there was a queue of aircraft to land, so we had to wait. RWY22 is the longest, and widest, but also you have to back track it to get back to the apron.  Aircraft on approach has the right of way, so you cannot enter an active runway when there is anyone on the approach. I did another monkey thing there, which is, I didn't turn the aircraft so that I could see the approach well enough. Well, one more thing to learn.

We got back, I do understand what I did wrong rather well, so there was not much to discuss. Got my paperwork done, and went off to pay.

Since I was feeling so well after this lesson, I thanked Daniel for the lesson, and said that I enjoyed it very much. Not to offend any other instructor, most of whom I flew with were great, but this guy is in the same league with Rodger when it comes to patience. And somehow, it helps me great deal to absorb more that way.

Next lesson booked in two weeks. I booked for Saturday and Sunday. I think, in the future it will make sense to book for two slots in the same day, with an hour break in between.

All in all, greatly enjoyed that one.

Now, that I got two weeks, it is time to sit down and lear the bloody air-law for 100%, and also sort out my medical.

:)


  • Route: circuits, RWY22

  • Milestones: none ?

  • Exercises covered: ex12 and 13

  • Weather: very clear, little bit of wind.






No comments:

Post a Comment