Saturday 16 October 2010

Lesson 20 - nailing the landings







Lesson: 20


16/X/2010

  • Lesson time: 0.8h

  • Total time: 15.4h

  • Location: EGAD

  • Aircraft: G-BNKR (C152)

  • Instructor: David H

My plan to fly more often is going well so far, the weather was approaching CAVOK Today. Pretty much the best you can get around here.

Started my Saturday as usual, with bit of physical, 20 miles on bicycle, including couple of steep hills to go onto. Afterwards, I was so buzzed with energy that I could not sit at home. Decided to jump in the car, and drive to the club, and learn a bit more of the airlaw in the car.

30 min before the flight, I asked for the key. I never had a chance to actually fly with David before. One of my first lessons, before I even flew for the first time that I booked with him ended up with quite extensive preflight. He was an engineer himself, so I have some common language with him. And share the love for details and technicalities.

Did my preflight. Noticing that trim tab only 'works' on one of the stabilisers. As it turned out, it is only on one of them ! it makes perfect sense, but I have no clue why haven't I noticed it before. Also port wheel was rather in poor condition in comparison with the starboard one. But it was ok according to CFI. Apparently you don't need to replace them in pairs like on an automobile, so the starboard one was brand new, and hence the contrast. Nose wheel looked a bit deflated too, but that is also on purpose. It makes the nose-wheel shim a little less. If you ever flown in C15X you know what I'm talking about.

Today was also the day I was using my Pooley's checklist, rather than the club one. It is much smaller, but I never used it in the aircraft. It does some checks in different order, and is worded differently from the one I used to use. But it is also much easier to handle in rather cramped space that C152 provides. I was quite taken over by the fact that I flew with the CFI. So I must have forgot couple things. But he is very patient, and he always gives reasons to his remarks. Which I very like. I like to know why that way, not only that I did something wrong.

Radio work went rather smooth. No probs with that anymore. I also felt much more engaged in the whole experience. Probably because again, no one was trying to grab the controls from me. Or perhaps I am getting grasp of the whole thing more and more. Dunno. I also had my 8 quid 'pilot' sunglasses on my nose, which helped to keep cool and I was able to fly into the sun for a change. I still aim to get proper ones, but can't cough up 80 quid for specs just yet. (that's nearly 40 minutes in the c152, why waste it for some top end glasses).

Took off nicely, turns were ok, but made monkey off myself during bumpfich again. David said, just to check all vitals, like instruments, fuel, breaks, carb heat, and not worry about other things.

First approach was complete rubbish. I turned on too early, mixed up things. I was very nervous, flying with David for the first time, trying to give good impression probably. Dunno.

Second one, David asked me to fly away a bit further from the runway, bumpfich suddenly decided to let me get it right. Approach was still rubbish, we had to go around, because of some guy closing in behind us.

Third one, we had aircaddet in moto-glider flying before us. Even in 152 we catch up rather quickly. I had to fly parallel to it, and had to slow down to about 65 knots, extend my downwind. This approach was much better. I got reminded again that carb heat goes out first before I pull the power. Otherwise it is pointless to do it with less hot air that goes out when you pull the power.

I was spot on on that approach, and was announced to have landed (and than took off) completely by myself, with David sitting relaxed and with hands crossed.

On fourth one I forgot about flaps, which David kindly retracted for me.

And others were just fine :) Maybe too high on the last one. But,boy other traffic can distract you.


(that blue line is when my GPS thought I took off vertically into the air)

One note, microlights. What's the point in having a radio, if from 200 ft I cannot hear you clear on mine ? Seriously. I don't know how these people are still alive.

All in all. Couple lessons learned. Carb heat goes out before power is pulled. Comes back around 200ft before landing. Lookout is very important, and so is speed on approach. It turned out that I was extremely high on approaches before, because I always felt that I am too low. So note to self, this is a landing you are getting lower, that's the point of it!

What else ? I got CFI to tell me (and my instructor for the next day), that my landings are finally coming together. That was a very high complement.

I have to say, for an ex engineer, he has a very typical sense of humour. Kind of like all of us. Good to see that some things don't change over the years. I tried to even complement him, saying that these days one would say that he has a nerd type of sense of humour. He was surprised, but I hope he didn't took that wrong.

And initially I told him, that I would do rather something else Today than circuits. But he insisted on doing one or two before doing overhead joins. I'm glad I did stay in circuit Today (sounds funny, I know).

There was also a lot of traffic Today, so I learned a good deal about listening. And also that when there's two guys in the thing, four eyes and four ears hear and see things better and quicker. Altho I believe that David heard and saw everything just fine, but elected to see if I could :)

One things makes me sad. If I had my airlaw done now, I would go solo Tomorrow most probably. Oh well, I will have again two weeks to sort that out.

:=]




  • Route: circuits, RWY04

  • Milestones: landed without much help 3 times ! yay.

  • Exercises covered: ex12 and 13

  • Weather: very clear, little bit of wind.






No comments:

Post a Comment