Sunday 25 August 2013

Dual Long Cross Country



I was hoping for some solo circuits Today. But instructor suggested that I should plan long cross country anyway - and see what we could do once I'm at the airfield.
So I went ahead and did that. Phoned up Enniskillen and Aldergrove (in that order, just in case) - and everything was fine. In the end, I decided to go ahead with the cross country - after all, it means progress !

We took off 04, right hand. Departed circuit to the south via Comber. Belfast Approach were rather quiet, and we got the requested zone transit to Aldergrove to land. I got the zone transit (yay), and they were nice enough to pass my details over to Aldergrove.

Instructor in the mean time went on to tell me how to lean the mixture - to save up a bit of fuel. Not that I pay for the fuel, the hourly fee is the same regardless of how much fuel I use. But more fuel means more safety up in the air, and more options. That's priceless.

Once closer to Aldergrove, I tuned in to the ATIS. Apparently they are happy for people coming over in small aircraft without the 'information', but I wanted to be professional here.

Aldergrove told me that I'm the number 2 to land - runway 25. The approach and landing were rather uneventful. Big deal for me - second landing away from Newtownards. Papi showed were were a bit low, but we were on stable path - instructor seconded.

The Aldergrove Tower voice was very fast and rather hard to understand, but I managed somehow with help of the instructor to repeat the instructions. Names of the taxi ways were very hard to read on the airport chart, especially since I had to shrink it down to fit on a single page. Lesson learned.

Parked at the GA apron, and went to settle the landing fee. Then back to the aircraft, and set on our way to Enniskillen. We were both a bit hungry and Enniskillen has a little cafe on site, where we could have some lunch.

Next leg was suppose to be long (27 minutes, afair) - and rather dull in terms of features.

Once I got started up, pen ready - first contact with the ground is usually where you get loads of info. But I was just told to just taxy to A1 hold. On our way there, we observed Easy Jet landing, with a nice landing - bit of a smoke from tyres. But I'm guessing for such a large airplane its normal.

I did my power checks, and then said 'holding short A1 runway 25, ready for departure'.
This is where we got a mouthful to repeat, but not as much as I thought. 'Lineup 25, after departure turn north west, not above 2000 ft'.

Once up in the air, approach told us about aircraft that was over head us, but we couldn't see it. Once clear of it, I resumed the climb to 1500, towards Toome. That place is clearly visible, with distinguishable Lough edge, and bridge right over it.

Once over it, I reported it - where our service was reduced to Basic, and we set our way towards Enniskillen.

The leg to Enniskillen was rather uneventful. The views are stunning - quite a lot of windfarms, makes it bit confusing - but high ground and sparse towns - make for easy features.

When we were closer to Omagh - I noticed we were a bit off track, decided to correct it about 7+7 to the left. We were already past the half way point, but by not much - so I thought this will work too. And it did !.
I think this was because of DI alignment earlier on. I'm sure mistake was my own, plus a bit of a wind from rain and such maybe. On this leg we had few clouds here and there, and some rain in the area. Luckily our path was rather clear.

Closer to Enniskillen and in sight of the Lough - I started looking for the airfield. Which as it turned out was right over the nose - one place over which the visibility is rather poor ;). Also, the airfield is perpendicular to the path - covered by trees and such. Hard to spot. If I couldn't spot it on my own I'd climb to 2000ft and join overhead. Safety and such !

The runway 33 was active. I looked around, and we joined cross wind for 33, with a heli taking off underneath us - but clearance was sufficient and I made a call to let him know that I'm overhead and can see him. The circuit takes you over some really nice scenery, so this and the unfamiliarity with the airfield made me want to extend the circuit a bit.

The approach is over some higher ground - with a church on the left hand side. I decided to take a bit of an S turn around that church and the hill - to keep it on the safe side. Again, the runway was huge - and landing was rather nice. At least as far as student standards are concerned.

We decided to go for some lunch first, before settling the landing fee. Lunch was pretty good. Not often do you get a chance to talk to the instructor about things other then your upcoming lesson, or things you just did wrong :-) I settled the bill, to pay for all the problems I caused ever before to this particular Instructor.

Landing fee at the Enniskillen is half of that at Aldergrove, with a cafe - it makes a very nice place to go for a bimble.

Next, the longest leg yet - and one that takes us home. Again, rather uneventful - once past Dromore, we were passed over to Belfast Approach, again not much happening there. Closer to Ballynahinch we decided to dive down to 1400 ft, just to make sure we're not busting the zone - there's a small extension down to 1500ft over there.

Ballynahich was very clearly visible - so once overhead, I turned towards Comber - again, very nice visibility, uneventful leg. Comber, overhead join for 04 RH at Newtownards, and down - for what was the worse landing of the day. And that's at an airfield I know very well. I blamed it on a gust picking me up at the last minute - but we all know I could have done better. Nevertheless we got on the ground in one piece and without much drama.

Instructor did not have much to say about my flying, he said that I pretty much done everything by myself and apart from few things on the radio that he suggested - it was all good. One of these times where I don't fsck up anything. Amazing. Rare event.

2.5h of flying, rather huge bill to settle - but overall - I'm pretty pleased with myself here.

I actually felt pretty well, usually I'm very tired after an hour of a nav. But I think what helped here, was that the instructor let me do things myself, and didn't say much. If anything, he was very positive, and never took over from me.
It is stressful when instructor has to take over, or sits there - letting steam out of his ears - so to speak.
And trust me, when it comes to testing the boundaries - I practically have PHD in it .

Add caption

No comments:

Post a Comment