Saturday 13 March 2010

Lesson 7, introduction to stalls

Lesson: 7


07/III/2010

  • Lesson time: 1.0h

  • Total time: 6.1h

  • Location: EGAD

  • Aircraft: G-UFCE (C172)

I had no time to prepare for this lesson, due to some other activity on Saturday - so in all honesty, I had no idea what I am suppose to do Today. But I knew very well, that I will be told what to do - so no bother. We had a rather short briefing (but stalls don't require much). Anyways, I pretty much know what the stall is, and what causes it, so I didn't needed much.

What was different however, was that I only flew in 172 once before. And that was during my introductory stage. But anyways, Bryan trusted me that I could do preflight, so on I went with it. For starters, things were in different locations, there were new things that I couldn't spot, and the list was slightly longer. I have to say, for C152 I already started to remember the checklist. So imagine, you feel comfortable with something, and all of the sudden you are given something completely else. I had to actually read it word by word - again :D. Funny as it seems, I was just afraid it will take me slightly longer. I had no idea where are few switches, but I just decided to skip it, and ask later. One other thing, I had no idea where the dipstick is, so I skipped the visual fuel check too. I knew that the reason it has to be done with dipstick in C152, was due to clumsy sensors in the tanks, but had no idea if C172 still has the same properties. Later on, I was told that pilot has to check visually fuel levels in all small aircraft, whenever possible during preflight.

As I approached it - it seemed much bigger than C152, and in all honesty it is slightly bigger. It also has much more power.

Bryan joined me, and explained to me few bits that I didn't know. Like white switches hidden behind control column, that I had no idea were there! These switches turn radios etc (avionics switch). Or Fuel shutoff valve. These things simply don't exists on C152.

One thing that I love about C172 is the room available, and also how easy it is to connect my headphones :) I am thinking about sticking to C172, even tho it costs roughly 30 quid more per hour. We shall see...

One other thing about C172, it has the dash slightly higher up, so the "picture" is different. So far I was alright in C152, and thought that I got it all. But speeds, 'picture', and few other things are slightly different in this aircraft, as it has substantially more power.

But as stupid (not to mistake with brave) as I am, I decided to go with it. Bryan gave me a chance to do the first radio call. And here to my surprise, the ' missile launch' button wasn't responsible for radios. There were 3 of them!. Gosh.. Things get complicated, can't even make the bloody radio call anymore. took me few seconds to find it. I think I made like 3-4 attempts to just call EGAD radio, and get airfield info and radio check. But finally got it. Also rudder pedals seem slightly bigger in C172 , but somehow I managed to get us through. My taxing still sux.

Off we went, again, slowly, and I could feel more power on the climb. Speeds are again different, and I got to memorise the new ones.

Climbed initially to 3000, Bryan talked to Belfast over radio, and I got us up to 3500.

First thing I noticed, is that the rudder pedals require muuuch more pressure to fly straight and level. Seriously, I think I'll have to try next few lessons just to get it, as I started to chase yawing with rudder to the point where it started to bank. Secondary effect of controls is much more visible here than it was in C152. C152 is like riding a bicycle, C172 is a motorcycle. Seriously...

Once we went up to 3500, Bryan took over. He demonstrated stall approach, and recovery. Not a big deal to be honest. I was hoping for more drama (and Gs). I repeated the same procedure. Basically as you approach stall, the buzz starts to make lot of noise (stall warner), and you feel like sitting in a car that goes up on a steep hill. I cannot honestly imagine how a pilot could get even to a position like that, but obviously it happens - hence the training.

After few tries, Bryan told me to just fly slow, and feel difference on the controls. And again, this feels odd. Imagine a dream, where things are happening 10x as slow. Say for instance, you press a button, and it feels like all of the sudden things are made of jelly, and it takes them a while to pass on the wave of input you made. This is how it feels to fly at low speeds. Rudder is fine, but aerilons- gosh - took me ages to bank, and you kind of expect fast(er) response, due to the aircraft's power. And it has tons of power, in comparison with C152. I don't even wanna know how it is to learn to fly in Ciruss SR22, and yes, there are people training on it as their first aircraft ! Obviously those are wealthy americans, so for me - I have to stick with slow (in comparison) C172. But if I had a chance to own SR22 (I wouldn't, for various reason anyway, but if I did) - I would rather train first on something slower, like C172, or PA28, and than made a transition.

As last demonstration, Bryan showed me how it is to fly slow with flaps in that thing, and recover from stall. It feels even worse. It feels like you are watching the sky, buzz is making loads of noise, airframe swings (still long before the buffet), and you sit in funny position. How on earth pilots don't see stall coming with all that happening, is a mystery to me. Probably I will have a chance to experience why in the future...

Bryan, obviously seeing that I am failing to fly straight in level in times (due to funny rudder inputs I have to make, and very 'big' trim tabs) - asked me to do few turns. Oddly enough, and in very English way - he only asked me to do things, but never said how I did. Only if I did something odd, he would repeat and just slightly underline part where I went wrong. I kind of felt like I am being examined, but no one tells me how I did. Very English way of doing things (and I have absolutely nothing against them, quite contrary - I lived there for a while, and probably will move back to England if things go para-shaped at work, and I will fail to find something to do in NI). That kind of reminds me of a joke:

My brother was up in court last week. The judge said, 'What is this man charged with?' The policeman said, 'He opened a shop sir.' The judge said, 'And what is wrong with opening a shop?' The policeman said, 'Well it wasn't his shop sir.'


(I was thinking about brining up few other jokes, but I don't want my English friends here to be offended).

I felt like I did okay on the banking, turning with banks, etc. Obviously that was a test, to see if I am going to be ready for circuit bashing - which is going to be hell... But oddly enough, I cannot wait. After all, this is going to be the time where I'll learn most.

For the landing, we had to extend our circuit, as all of the sudden there was a lot of traffic. I still fail to fully visualise the traffic pattern - especially the overhead join bit. But hopefully it will all come to me. I know how it works, but I just cannot see it when instructor does it. Oh well.

Bryan gave me short debrief, again, rather cryptic "learn by repetition" answer  - which is true. I suppose, he wanted me to reflect on my own mistakes, or maybe he thought I did well enough. Oh well. Maybe the fact that it was my second time in C172, and the first time with me actually doing things myself - that also made me feel rather peculiar.

All in all , great lesson, and in much more powerful aircraft (and 30 quid dearer).

  • Route: Departed rwy 16, over Strangford Lough and back up . Landed rwy 16.

  • Milestones: stared on stalls, 10a, and demonstration of 10b, etc

  • Exercises covered: 10

  • Weather: sunshine!, CAVOK !

No comments:

Post a Comment