Saturday 13 March 2010

Lesson 8, more stalls...

Lesson: 8


12/III/2010

  • Lesson time: 0.8h (almost 50 min)

  • Total time: 6.9h

  • Location: EGAD

  • Aircraft: G-UFCE (C172)


Around 1100 on Friday, staring outside - and getting worried about each cloud.

1130, I called Roger at the UFC. He said weather is fine, I also asked what are we going to fly in Today - C172, he said. I remember, my Kate told me last time, that it is a shame that she couldn't go up and fly with me - so I ask Roger what he says about an extra passenger, and he said - by all means, bring her along. Great, I thought. She will be delighted.

1200 - tested, and committed my code changes - and left.

At home, Kate was already waiting with lunch, and after few minutes we were on our way on my blue steel horse.

main entrace to UFC

Roger gave me briefing in the main lounge (usually we go to the small room, with blackboard, and maps, etc). I was surprised to hear that what I did last time was just a pre-stall condition recovery, and Today we will do proper stalls (incipient stall), but with no flaps. He also made sure that Kate will be fine with it, and she seemed fine (not knowing what awaits her).

Off I went to do the preflight. Wind was cold, so Kate decided to check back couch inside the aircraft, and I went on to do the preflight. By now, I know where are various switches and knobs that I couldn't found last time - so it was okay.

Kate took some pics from that (and later journey), although I have to say that the camera (nikon D100) is not doing well in fully automatic mode. Well, I only bought it last week, so still have to learn to use it. After all, it is a semi-pro camera. In fact all pictures here were taken with it!.




Roger joined me quite quickly, and made sure that Kate is strapped in properly. The seatbelts in the rear on C172 are funny, as you have to pull it out till end, hold it, buckle it in, and than release. Otherwise, once pulled and stopped, it will not allow you to pull anymore, and you have to release it all the way up, and try again. Luckily pilot's seatbelt works fine..




I went through my pre-engine start checklist, turned on the engine. Kate giggle when she heard me scream 'clear prop'. Well, it must sound funny.

As soon as I did my post-engine startup checklist, she was utterly scared. Seriously. I didn't felt well with that, but I had to tell her to just sit in, and not worry. I can honestly say, that remembering my feelings from the very first lesson, I was scared too. And that was in C152, much older, and much smaller inside.

We went on, rolling to 34 for our engine checks. By the time we stopped, I could smell burning break pads. And only than Roger told me politely to not sit on breaks. I mean, I love that guy, he is one of the best instructors in the Club, honestly. Even when I screw up, he is polite, and I feel like being trusted and just reminded about things I should do, but not pressured. There was some Rv7 (very nice aircraft, shame that it is the 'experimental' class, and you have many restrictions that come with that) that wanted to get by, so we moved to the side of runway. Off it went, and I did the engine checks. By now, I'll do everything myself, even in C172 (on previous lesson Bryan would help me with few things, as I couldn't find em). Still had problem locating few gauges, but eventually got it.




Backtracked on the runway, and was reminded by Roger that the runway is short, and I should gently, but not so slow push the power forward. I nearly stalled us on climb out - as I set the attitude too high up, but was quickly corrected, and nothing has happen.

I was amazed again, how quickly we left EGAD area, and switched over to the Belfast control. Once over peninsula, he went on to demonstrate proper stall, and while the previous lesson I could barely feel it - this one felt like we were in 0g for split second. Honestly.


Now it was my turn, and that was a disaster. I had no idea that you have to pull it all the way. And even tho, the aircraft doesn't really want to stall. The nose drops by itself, and you just have no room nor power to actually pull anymore.

I retried few times, and after that asked Kate how she is doing. To which she replied 'fine', but I could see she was sitting there with her eyes closed. Poor soul, she was scared much more than I could imagine she will. And I know that she is scared of highs. I told that to Roger, to which he replied, that he is as well. I was stunned. And he is a pilot, the instructor here. (only two days a week, I don't know what else he is doing, maybe he flies with airlines too).

It was time to fly back, it felt very early. Roger probably wanted to save Kate the experience. I set ourselves on the heading roughly towards EGAD, and on descend. Still feels awkward to fly C172, and Roger has to remind me to watch the picture outside. I honestly feel like I am getting worse at this every time I fly...



Roger wanted to give me a chance to land, but I failed at keeping us on the same slope, 34 is a funny runway, as the nearby mountain reflects airflow, and so you have to watch out for changing winds. He took over, and told me again and again, to use power to control angle, and don't use yoke for nothing more than slight adjustments. That's why trimming for the approach is sooooo important.

Once on the ground, I was hoping Kate will be relieved. And I also hopped she took some pictures. She was sited behind me, so obviously I couldn't count on any photos of me behind the controls, but I was hoping for some general photos. As it turned out, she was sitting there with her eyes closed most of the time... I am planning to take my brother (atm 13 years old) up one day too, and I just hope that he will not be as scarred. But first, I have to do the bloody course, and pass exam. It is going to be a while :)

Roger gave me good debrief, telling me exactly what I did screw up. I told him that I feel like flying worse and worse every time. And he said, that is just learner's experience. He told me, that if I was to do my first lessons now, those would be trivial, and as I go, I feel and see more and more things. True. But also, I know that the fact that I am flying C172 second time  - pretty much - doesn't help. But I will get around that eventually, I know it :) Plus harder it is, the more determination I have to do it, in my all hopeless stupidity.

Another thing he told me, next week I am doomed to do more stalls.. Oh dear, and you would think this is some easy subject.


And Kate (pic taken by Roger):



  • Route: Departed rwy 34, over Strangford Lough and back up . Landed rwy 34.

  • Milestones: stared on stalls, 10a, and demonstration of 10b, etc

  • Exercises covered: 10

  • Weather: sunshine!, CAVOK !

  • photos!

No comments:

Post a Comment