Monday 3 June 2013

Lesson 44




Lesson: 44


02/06/2013

  • Lessons time: dual - 0.0h, solo - 0.7h !

  • Total time: 41.4h (3.3h solo)

  • Location: EGAD

  • Aircraft: G-UFCM (Tecnam 2002JF)

I wasn't sure if he was joking yesterday or not - about the solo. But I did prepare everything best I could, even created my own plog table - that would fit my kneepad and give me all info where I needed it to be.

I arrived well ahead of time, impatiently awaiting the verdict. I wanted to go and fly this one solo, but on the other hand - I couldn't believe that anyone would let me. I'm guessing I was told that the weather isn't good for solo way too many times already.

But it turned out, it was solo time for me. Instructor went through all my planning meticulously - making sure I did everything correctly. I got few words of advice and caution (which I won't repeat here :P ). And off I went.

I took the time, making myself comfortable in the aircraft, doing all the preflights, etc.
My biggest fear was the radio. Everything else I knew I could handle (or so I thought...).

So off I went, once overhead comber - I switched over to Belfast, on the initial call you have to give them quite few pieces of information and whilst you recite all of it - it feels like a lot.

Then turned towards Bishops Court - and off I went. I was quite nervous a minute before the estimated time over Bishops court. But minute later there it was. Slight correction, but I could see it clearly.

Calculated my next leg's ETA, but I managed to cock up radio call there. Had to used the magic phrase 'correction'. 'Report Hillsborough', he responded - and off I went.

After the turn - this was the moment of truth. Heading, and time. During that leg, I noticed that my heading was drifting a bit from time to time. Had to align DI twice.

Once I was overhead - what I thought was - Ballynahinch - I asked for zone transit, which was granted to me nicely. 'Report Hillsborough' voice said on the radio again. 'Zone transit approved, wilco Student G-UFCM' - I replied.

Picture ahead didn't make much sense, but I was on the heading - and there was a quarry underneath.
It was time to check where I was - and it was obvious I was on the Northern side of Lisburn. Doh!. Quick call to Belfast City, where I managed to say I'm south of Lisburn, only to correct myself straight away, and I decided to turn back to Comber.

This time DI was way out (it always seems to be doing that on that turn !) - so after aligning it with compass - off I went. My estimated time was of course off - because I was closer to Comber then if I was to fly there from Hillsborough - but that's ok. At least I knew exactly where I was.

Time to join the circuit downwind - and land this thing.

Landing was pretty neat, bit high on approach - but I didn't wanted to fly too low over the town. This time I extended flaps in 3 stages.

I shut her down, and took out my phone - it was recording the gps track. I was interested to see how much off the track I was. Turned out, quite a fair bit :/

One thing for sure, I'll be much more precise at flying next time.

In the club, I was greeted by instructor - who to my story about being a bit off course replied "I've heard your RT was really good". That was a nice compliment.
Indeed, turned out that the Controller from Belfast City phoned in to inform them that my RT was 'Well above standard'. He made my day ! (and the fact that I did the solo nav was also uplifting on its own).

Here's a complimentary GPS track:



And the message from the Controller:



:-)


  • Route: EGAD->Comber->Bishops court->Hillsborough->Comber->EGAD

  • Milestones: Cross Country Nav in Tecnam SOLO!

  • Exercises covered: Ex.18A (solo)
  • Weather: Bit gusty, clouds at about 2500ft, lower in few places,  great visibility


No comments:

Post a Comment