Saturday 19 April 2014

Biggin Solo Sevenoaks rejoin

To build up mine and more importantly instructor's confidence before he sends me on my QXC, I knew that one of the things I have to do will be a solo rejoin from Sevenoaks.
Weather was good, instructor looked happy - he didn't shook his head when I did the superman pose, claiming that I just left my cape at home. All systems good then :-)

I was briefed about all possibilities, we went through solo checklist. Since the QXC route for EFG is Biggin->Goodwoods->Lydd->Biggin, I'll be joining from Sevenoaks. I've done this few times already on dual navs - so this was mainly a recap and bunch of safety tips.

Sevenoaks is pretty clearly visible, with big town, three large bodies of water and a massive junction on M25. The junction is rather important, as it's the edge of the Gatwick zone - same with M25 west to it.

Runway 03 was in use again Today, so we took off. Standard departure - 1nm and then right turn to the west. This keeps us just on the edge of Orpington, by by now we're 2000ft AMSL or more. On initial climb out I went up to 2500ft, before realising that LTMA is just about to start. Ooops.
We got to Sevenoaks and started routing slightly to the east - instructor demonstrated me how I can use VOR at Biggin to to make sure I won't bust LTMA to the north and how I could find my way back if I get lost, just by following 270 radial TO Biggin. That 'TO' is rather important :-)
We also practiced QDM, which I of course screwed up by saying "Practice QDM G-XXXX Practice QDM", rather then the expected  "G-XXXX Practice QDM G-XXXX". But it worked, we got back the heading back to Biggin from where we were, so we just started following it back.
After landing, I dropped the ballast (i.e. the instructor) and went on to do it by myself. Instructor just told me to "have fun, go to the east and practice some turns etc". I was happy to oblige.

Same thing on the way out - this time by myself. I decided to stay at 2000ft. Went to the east, had a bit of a play with VOR. The rejoin itself would make the flight be about 10 minutes, and I need some solo time. Followed some turns and some heading changes, etc. Just basic stuff - but it was nice to do it by myself. All my previous navs or circuits were aimed at fulfilling a certain mission. So it was nice to do few general manoeuvres instead. I did the whole HASELL checklist and went on to do some steeper turns. Picking reference on the ground and trying to circle it evenly around. Worked rather well. I also managed to take some photos - because why not.

After about 20 minutes I had enough and decided to turn back with uneventful return to the apron. This time I asked for backtrack on main runway. Instructor wasn't expecting me so early, and in any case - he said that I should have enjoyed full taxy back - since this still counts to my solo time. Good point, but I think I can taxy well enough - thanks very much :-)

I just remember being extremely elated followed by feeling of extreme tiredness. I pretty much went to sleep once I got home and ate something for dinner. Apparently it's normal - and in any case, I've done full day of work before - even if it was just a desk job.

Three lakes at Sevenoaks

The massive M25 junction. We're just turning back to Biggin
Beautiful views with sun hiding behind clouds.
Overhead biggin, about to turn Downwind for 03
I was rather pleased with myself


No comments:

Post a Comment