Saturday 19 April 2014

Biggin, Southend ATZ Transit Nav

Southend airport is the default alternate for EFG students. This is a bit odd, even to me - since there's few alternatives closer by - but I can understand why it would be useful to low hour students. Southend has big runway, lights, radar, etc. Other alternatives, Redhill, Rochester, Headcorn - grass, A/G, shorter runways. Etc.
So as part of the training, I knew I'll be going over to Southend at some stage. Turns out, we didn't went there to land - just to see the place, and also as an excuse for me to practice diversions, position fix, and just to talk to a different controller. Throw me out of my comfort zone a bit.

I planned a nav to Hanningfield, Southend ATz transit and Faversham. I knew that at some stage, the instructor will throw a diversion at me. But he won't do this before ATZ Transit, so it was obvious when it is going to happen really. But that's ok.
I did embarrass myself a bit, because I came rather unprepared - the morning was bit hectic and I forgot my wizzwheel (turns out, I did lose it somewhere). Did I mention that I have a very nice instructor ? The guy is really a temple of zen. So I borrowed his, he was very patiently waiting for me to finish all my planning - and off we went to do the preflight. As a matter of precaution and also good practice - he is always checking things like fuel and oil himself, even tho student has done it. I like his approach.

We went off this time to the east, so not via Sevenoaks as usual - but through Swanley. Of course doing a big circle around Orpington first.

Routing to the North East is rather simple. There's a big bridge on Thames - that you cannot miss out even if you're as blind as Ozzy Osbourne. After that - I adjusted my ETA a bit, I think by 2 minutes - and kept same heading. Turned out my adjustment was just fine - as we were overhead Hanninfield reservoir exactly at the time. There was a temptation to call it - when I saw it, but we had quite a head wind, so it took us a bit to get from seeing edge of it underneath cowling till we were just overhead.

After that, I just turned dead East. I didn't plan this leg. The goal was to report overhead South Woodham Ferrers and then turn south east to cross ATZ. Controller asked us if we are happy to drop down below 2000ft (even tho it is class G) - due to departing traffic and we were happy to oblige. We had their DME tuned in already. Controller asked us to climb back to 2000ft and report overhead. And then told us to resume navigation. Pretty cool. Southend's frequency was rather busy - but the controller was extremely helpful - can't complain. There's a gas venting site on the south bank of Thames - so I asked controller if it's active. I did screw up the D number, but I think he got it - and said that the gas venting danger area is not active. Good :-)

Instructor told me to plan diversion from Sheerness to Swanley. I expected diversion at this point, so no worries. It actually went rather well. Altho C152 is not as stable as C172, so flying with just a rudder for prolonged periods of time is not possible - but I did manage. Due to the wind, I had to make a small adjustment - but we ended up very close to our destination.

After that, I just asked Biggin for rejoin from Swanley - and we landed nicely on 21. We ended the whole thing rather late - lights were already on at Biggin - so as a bonus I got fully lighted up runway, even tho it was pretty bright still. Unfortunately taxy ways are not lighted - so it is a bit more confusing at dusk, with the night vision trying to kick in, and the day vision still on the edge of it's capabilities on the ground. I remembered the taxy ways at Prestwick lit nicely blue. Oh well, Biggin doesn't have 737's traffic and such, so I suppose they don't need it.

Nice lesson, I was rather chuffed with the progress - and I think a lot of it is thank to the instructor and his patience. Not a shred of rushing or judgmental attitude on his side - even tho I can see few other instructors I know doing it in the same situation. Sometimes even a grim face for few seconds is enough to change atmosphere.

This time I did record a nice brad crumb for all of you's. Yay.







No comments:

Post a Comment