Sunday 27 April 2014

To Lydd and back

So as part of the QXC in this school, I will have to visit Goodwoods and Lydd. However, instead of flying the actual QXC route with students dual - the instructor instead flies to each destination separately. Whether that is for educational purposes, or just to get instructor more hours in his log book - dunno. But I like that approach. Lessons are shorter and cost is spread bit more. Also, weather requirements are not as tough - so progress and currency are better.

I was rather looking to it, since we as students don't get to do many land-aways per curriculum - every little adventure like this is really good. If it was up to me, I wouldn't mind to do a solo land away at a single airport as part of curriculum before embarking on QXC, but well, - I can't change it. Unless CAA is reading this and will agree.

It's a rather simple nav -> Sevenoaks -> Bewl Water and then over to the Lydd. I read the Lydd's AIP - but the information about VFR arrivals is rather well embedded in remarks and such. Very strange overhead join procedure there, no idea why - one has to arrive over circuit height over the runway, and then turn downwind - and only then descent to the circuit height. If someone knows reasons - please email me or comment here.
Another difficulty is the danger area and nuclear power plant to the south. The latter being very close to the airport, so base and finals are rather short. No worries, the runway is rather massive.

The first time we set off to do this, one of mags was running rough - so possibly power checks saved us rather interesting flight. Next time everything was working ok - and we set off.
The day was rather hazy, and it was already late in the afternoon. Lydd closes at 7, so instructor insisted that we take off in rather expeditious manner. As luck might have it, as we set off to taxy to the runway hold point - so did about 5 other aircraft. Radio became very busy. This is where not being very precise on radio on that day, bite me back. I forgot to mention to the ATC that we're departing to Lydd, and he I think assumed 'local' flight, meaning - we will be landing here. Almost right. ATC asked me that question as a follow up, but then radio becomes so busy with incoming traffic and other aircraft trying to depart before us - that it took good 10 minutes before I could answer that question. Note to self, do it next time per CAP413 - and give all that information on first contact, for instance: "Biggin, G-CPFJ, C152 at EFG VFR to Lydd ,Information V, QNH 1022 request taxi information". So far I've been doing the 'short' initial call, like 'Biggin, G-CPFJ at EFG requesting taxi information'. Followed by 'G-FJ pass your message'. I think I can do better next time :-)

Anyway - we did set off nicely into the blue yonder. Day was a bit hazy, which always makes navigation rather tricky - but departure to Lydd wasn't that bad - mainly due to the fact that sun was behind us. 

Past Bewl Water the landscape becomes rather flat - and there isn't many features to go about really. Plenty towns and small roads to confuse. However, west of Lydd between Rye and Lydd there's a large wind turbine farm. And also, coast line is rather uniquely shaped. So finding the relevant place was rather easy. Instructor suggested I should report over town north of Rye - which wasn't as easy to spot to me. But I think 'between rye and whatever' was enough to the Lydd controller. Btw, if you want to listen to their ATIS first - tune in about 15 miles out - it is veeeery slow and takes rather long to get the important bits, like runway, frequency and qnh. We used NDB at the airfield and VOR next to it to fix our position even better - which is always helpful.

Once overhead, I turned right for runway 03, very tight base and finals. I slowed us down on late downwind and then quick descent on finals. I think the landing wasn't too bad. 

Bit of a confusion on the radio, as I thought the controller said 'apron Charlie One', but it was obvious that there's no such place - so I vacated via Charlie to the Charlie Apron. 

I shut down the beast and requested a photo should be taken of me in front of the aircraft. Why not. It does not identify the place as Lydd, but nice to have. 


The Chariot and Me


Once inside I paid the landing fee and since the shop was open - purchased another whizz wheel - 3rd one in my long career as a student pilot - as the last one I had got misplaced somewhere. Once all things got paid, we went on a quick tour of rather quiet and deserted terminal and dived into the supply of small sausage rolls I purchased few days before. It was really nice to have something to eat after the 30 minute flight :-) 

No need to book out apparently, so went back, quickly checked the aircraft and off we went. As per AIP remarks - power checks are need to be done before hold point Charlie, so that's were I did them. Then quick taxy to Delta (one ?). No need to backtrack, strong head wind and massive runway. Off we went. 
This leg was rather untidy, due to the wind, sun and inversion. For some reason, whenever I fly in the evening into the sun my navs become very untidy, with my heading all over the show and height holding issues. I blame it on the wind too in this instance :-) 
Despite the difficulties we got over to the Bewl water and then Sevenoaks fine. Another 'interesting' landing, due to the wind. I am ending up rather high on finals and have to bring it down quicker by pulling power almost to idle and nosing down to keep the speed. Dunno, I think it is safer that way - but if there's a cross wind - it makes my feet rather busy. But I did it. My instructor doesn't like that - because he does not get a chance to land it - but hey, that's the whole point - innit :-) 

Shut down and debriefed nicely. Next one, long solo nav. Looking forward to that one ! Almost as much as to the land away. 
GPS track








2 comments:

  1. Hi - nice blog!

    Just wondering about your point about not being able to do a solo landaway. As part of my training, we do several dual landaways, then solo landaways before doing the QXC. In fact, I'm due to do my QXC in a month or so...

    ReplyDelete
  2. What I mean, is that it isn't a part of CAA curriculum. At least I don't know about it, and never was told that this will be part of the training.
    So good on you, really :-)
    I suppose, next time instructor asks me "So I can send you solo, can you think of anything you want to do?" - I'll say - I want to go to Lydd solo :D

    ReplyDelete